1848 - The Global Halfway Revolution: Revolutionary Emancipation and Equality, Counterrevolutionary Reconciliation through Empire and World War, 1848-1914
Take-home essay assignment for Unit III - A: 1 (c)
Date Due: Thursday, February 7, 2013
- You MUST use MBA library research facilities, including this LibGuide. For other sources, go to bigredlibrary.com then click on the green Databases tab.
- Minimum of TWO research sources (ABC-CLIO, JSTOR, etc.)
- Wikipedia/Google count as THIRD source ONLY
- Bibliography must be included (use Noodletools for an easy bibliography process)
Topics for Research:
- Taiping Rebellion / Hong Xiaquan
- Caste War of Yucatan / Mayan Rebelliion in Yucatan / Jacinto Pat and Cecilio Chi
- Sepoy Mutiny / Rebellion of 1857 in India / Bakht Khan and Devi Singh
- Suez Canal Crisis (1882) / Ahmad Arabi
- Muhammad Ahmed / Mahdi Revolt in Sudan
Questions to Consider to Integrate Into Your Essay:
- Who were the revolutionaries in this episode? Explain their revolutionary agenda.
- Did these revolutionaries embrace a particular revolutionary ideology? Europe's 1848 revolutionaries embraced "red republicanism." To what extent might the revolutionaries you are researching (in the non-Western world) embrace "frontier fundamentalism"? Explain.
- What role did the British/European "free-trade globalization" play in sparking the revolution? Other factors?
- Outcome? Results? Significance?