Summer Reading Requirement – Seventh Grade
I. All School Read for 2023-24: Each boy in grades seven through twelve is required to read The Race of the Century: The Battle to Break the Four-Minute Mile by William Bascomb. All students will complete an assessment over this book during the first weeks of school.
II. Two choice books: Seventh-grade boys should also choose two books to read, one book from each of the two lists (A & B). Students should type answers to the seven questions listed below. There should be two sets of answers, one set for each of the choice books. Answers will be due on Wednesday, August 16, and should be given to the student’s English 7 teacher. Follow these directions to format the typed answers:
1. Center this title at the top of the paper: Answers to Questions about [title of book]
2. Center your first and last name right below the title.
3. Skip two spaces between your name and the first typed answer.
4. Use 12-point, Times New Roman font. Double-space the entire document.
5. Use 1-2 complete sentences and restate the question in your answer. Number all answers.
Questions for the choice books
1. What is the main setting (time and place) of the novel?
2. Is the setting significant to the plot of the novel or could it the story have taken place anywhere? If significant, briefly explain why.
3. What is the full name of the major character(s) of the novel, and what are two or three characteristics of these characters?
4. State the major conflict of the novel in a single sentence. The major conflict is the problem without which there would be no story?
5. Is the conflict between two characters, a character and nature, a character and himself or herself?
6. What is the climax, the moment of greatest suspense and tension, in the novel?
7. State if you would or would not recommend this novel to a friend and then explain three specific reasons why you would or would not recommend it. Your explanation should include enough details to make your answer clear to a person who has not read the novel.
List of Choice Books
1. Adams Watership Down
2. Cline Ready Player One
3. Duncan Killing Mr. Griffin
4. Gratz Refugee
5. Hickam Rocket Boys (also published as October Sky)
6. Krakaur Into Thin Air
7. Paolini Eragon, Eldest, or Brisinger*
8. Peck A Day No Pigs Would Die
9. Pullman The Golden Compass
10. Sepetys Salt to the Sea
1. Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles
2. Cormier I am the Cheese
3. Early Jim the Boy
4. Keyes Flowers for Algernon
5. Potok The Chosen
6. Steinbeck Travels with Charley
7. Stevenson Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Treasure Island*
8. White The Once and Future King
9. Verne 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
10. Zuzak The Book Thief
*When several titles are suggested for an author, please select only one by that author.